Do you want to join one of IMB's research groups for a research internship? You can apply anytime throughout the year. If you obtain an internship position in one of our research groups, you will decide together with your hosting research group when to start your internship and its duration (between 1-12 months). Find below an overview of our application procedure.
To apply for an internship at IMB, you must provide the following:
- Fully completed application submitted via email according to our instructions (see below), at least 3-4 months before the ideal start of your internship.
- University studies in a life science related subject for a minimum of three years; previous research experience is a plus.
- Full details of at least one referee; if applicable, it should be someone who has supervised you in a research project.
- High level of both spoken and written English.
Before you apply, please carefully read the information below and in the FAQs. Check also our example application form to prepare your application.
1) Choose your group(s) of interest
For your IMB internship application, you can select up to 5 IMB research groups that you are interested in among the ones listed in our Participanting Groups page.
2) Prepare your application
Once you have selected your groups of interest, please fill in our Application Form (Download here) digitally. The form must be filled in English.
Information required for application (click here to download an example):
- Your personal data, including your current university or institute affiliation and contact details
- Details of your current or most recent degree (BSc, MSc)
- IMB research groups that you are interested in working with; up to 5 may be selected
- Motivational statement describing your interest in a research internship at IMB and your chosen groups (maximum of 300 words)
- Full contact details of one referee. Your referees should be senior scientists (group leaders or professors) and know you well, if possible having supervised you during a research project
In addition, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae, including:
- Details on your degrees (BSc, MSc)
- Details on any research experience (internships, research stays abroad) during studies
- Details of any other post-graduate degrees, awards, honours or distinctions
- List of your publications (PubMed format) and your conference contributions (title of presentation or poster, date and location of the conference), if applicable
- Contact of additional referees, if more than one is available
- Your certificates, including:
- University registration certificate that confirms your status as a student (if applicable)
- University studies as far as completed (including certificates of qualification and transcripts of records)
- High school certificate
- Relevant extra-curricular activities or awards
- English language test certificate (optional)
3) Submit your application
Please prepare one single PDF file (max size 5 MB) including:
- Application Form, completed electronically in English
- Your CV, in English
- Your certificates
All documents must be submitted via email as a single PDF file to training(at)imb.de.
If degree forms and records from your university or high school certificates are not available in English, we do not require authorised translations for this application. If you encounter any technical problems, please contact us (email).
4) Selection of participants
Your application will be evaluated in a multi-level selection process which may include an interview with our group leaders. We kindly ask for your understanding that it may take about 4 weeks after submission until we inform you of the final outcome.